Representing Clients Injured Due to Negligent Maintenance or Security throughout North Carolina
Premises Liability: Inadequate Security · Trip and Fall · Victims of Crime
In North Carolina, as in other states, businesses such as hotels, shopping centers, apartment complexes, night clubs, supermarkets and other retail stores are required by law to take reasonable steps to ensure that they are providing a safe and secure environment for visitors and patrons. If they fail to do so and a person is hurt, a premises liability lawsuit can be an effective way to hold them accountable for their negligence.
A broken bone or other severe injury needing surgery can be the result of carelessness or negligence. Broken steps, improperly graded sidewalks and untended spills are hazards that can cause serious slip and fall accidents. If a business proprietor fails to correct or reasonably notify patrons of the danger, they may be held liable in court.
If you were injured in a slip and fall, trip and fall or falling merchandise accident in a North Carolina business or store, contact our team of effective premises liability attorneys today for a free initial consultation.
Inadequate Security and Dangerous Premises Injuries Attorneys · (704) 365-2600
Negligent security, or the failure to have basic standard security measures in place, can create a dangerous environment. Hotel guests, apartment complex residents and shopping mall patrons have the right to expect that the owners and managers are taking steps to provide safe premises. When they fail to do so by ignoring inadequate parking lot lighting, broken locks, unsecured doors and reports of suspicious or threatening behavior, a violent crime can be the result.
Slip and falls
Most premises liability lawsuits involve a slip and fall. However, slipping and falling on your own is not enough to file a lawsuit. There has to be a reason that caused your slip and fall, a reason that was no fault of your own. Here is a look at some of the most common causes of a slip and fall that will qualify for a premises liability lawsuit:
- Walkways are uneven – Incongruous inclines and even small holes can cause people to lose their sense of balance.
- Floors are wet – A leaky ceiling or wet walkway can be the cause of someone slipping and falling. Floors that have just been mopped should always have a “wet floor” sign posted.
- Icy walkway – There are rules on clearing snow and ice from walkways and if these are not followed, the owner of that property is liable.
- Excess clutter – Areas that are covered with debris and clutter are hazardous to passersby. After a fall, taking a picture of the clutter is recommended so that the owner does not do a quick cleanup to dispute your claim.
- Ripped carpet – A carpet that is dated and torn can cause someone to stumble and sustain an injury. Keep an eye out for any tears or rips if you should happen to fall on a carpeted floor.
Slip and falls come with all types of injuries while senior citizens may incur even more injuries because of their age. If you experience a slip and fall, contact Hefferon Law as you might be entitled to file a premises liability lawsuit.
If you were the victim of a crime caused by negligent or inadequate security, contact our offices in Charlotte today to discuss your options in filing a premises liability lawsuit for the damages you suffered.
For more details about our premises liability practice, please see our Negligent Security Information Center.